Monday, February 28, 2011

Newsletter February 28-March 4

Enclosed in your child's homework folder or backpack today is a form with your child's SEP scheduled time.  Please review it and sign the form and return it as soon as possible.  This way I  can be sure to reschedule your time if you are unable to make it.  SEP week is March 7-11.  School will be dismissed at 2:30 p.m. everyday that week (even on Wednesday).  The Book Fair will be open everyday that week.

Also enclosed is a permission slip to Canyon View High School to see the Utah Symphony.  Please sign and return that form.  Please note that the date of our Grandparents Lunch will change to Wednesday, March 9 at 11:30 because of this fieldtrip.  I have included a March Reading record and the March Golden Sneaker Calendar.  The reading records for February are now due.  This is the last month to record time for the Golden Sneaker Award.  I need to have you log minutes, I can't  take your child's word on it.  Some of my students  already have enough points for the "Gold medal".  I keep track of all of the time they spend in PE, but that is not enough to receive the award.

Last week I sent home an application for your child to participate in our Science Fair.  This is a fun learning experience and the students enjoy displaying their projects for the whole school to see.  Today I sent home information about our school Spelling Bee.  I have some terrific scientists and spellers in my classroom and these would be wonderful opportunities for learning.

Please look for  the sheet about our first grade basket.  This basket will be auctioned off the night of the Spring PTA/Science Fair/Art Show.  If you would like to donate items for the basket, we have a box in our classroom to put them in.  The first grade theme for  our basket is "Art and Crafts".

Our 100-book challenge is well underway.  Please continue to read with your child every night and to send me a note with the books that they have read.  Thanks for helping most nights with your child's math homework.  This extra one-on-one help in math is invaluable.  Some of the concepts we are now covering (time to the 1/2 hour and doubles plus one facts) are getting a bit harder, and the extra help at home will help to cement the concept.  If your child tells you that they don't have homework, please check this blog, because I have posted which nights we will not have homework, sometimes that changes, but for the most part it is accurate.

I look forward to meeting with you next week.  As always, HAPPY READING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment