Sunday, October 16, 2011

Newsletter October 17-19

We had a great time at the pumpkin patch!  I took some cute pictures and I will post them soon.  October is a fun month in 1st grade.  We are learning about spiders, pumpkins, and the moon.  Thanks to those who have already been "moon watchers". I am glad the moon has been cooperative.

I can't believe that we have almost completed one quarter of school.   This Wednesday, October 19th is the last day of the quarter.  I will print out grades and send them home with your child early next week.  I will also send home a progress monitoring graph, like the one that I showed you at SEP's.  If you have any questions about grades or their progress in reading please don't hesitate to contact me.

Since this is a short week, we will not have a spelling test this week or poetry performances.   I will send home spelling words, and new poems this Wednesday since we get back on a Tuesday, October 25.  That way you will have the time at home to study if needed. 

This week we will conclude our "Walk to Read" program.  When we get back all of my children will be back in my room.  Some of the students will still go to a reading group out in the reading building.  I will let you know if you child will be receiving that extra reading intervention.  If you have been helping in other classes please come to my classroom.  I will have you reading with children individually.  Please be patient, as we rewind a bit.  I use a Literacy management system in my classroom called "Daily Five".  It consists of five literacy activities that the children can choose from while I teach small groups.  The students will be "Reading to Self", "Listening to Reading", "Writing", doing "Word work", or "Reading to Someone".  I will also include AR tests and allow my students to use the smart board in literacy activities.  This new system will take some training. First graders need to be taught explicitly and since most of my students were elsewhere for reading, I will need to train them in my system.  I am excited to get going.  I love teaching reading!  It's got to be one of the best parts of teaching first grade.

Wednesday, Oct. 19th is picture retake day.  If you want your child to have their picture retaken please send the first picture packet back to school by Wednesday and I will send them down for a retake.

For our Halloween party, on Monday Oct. 31, I want to have Dads come and help carve pumpkins with groups of kids.  If you would like to help with this let me know.  I will send a note home on Wednesday with more information.

I hope you all have a fun, restful, and safe Fall Recess.  Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment