Saturday, October 1, 2011

Newsletter October 3-7

We had wonderful poetry performances on Friday.  I was so pleased that many in my class decided to memorize their poems.  This is a great way to increase oral reading expression and to show the students what it means to be a good audience. I have included a new poem in your child's notebook today.  Please again help your child read this, and remember that memorizing the poem is totally optional.  I do not want frustrated students, just happy readers! Please remember to return the folder each Friday, maybe just keeping the folder in their backpack will help--that way you won't forget to return it.

The September reading record (has apples on it) is now due.  I have sent home a new October reading record (look for a paper with ghosts on it).  Remember that I ask that your child read for 20 minutes, five times per week.  This can include reading the poem, the decodeable books, a take-home library book, or sight word practice.  These reading records are now worth 100 points.

Our class received the "traveling eagle" at the first assembly last week.  That is for the class that Mr. Burton feels was the best behaved!  I was super excited about that, and so were the kids.  Congratulations to our September "Catch-the-Vision" winner--Luis Torres.  Luis is a hard worker and a good class citizen.  I love having him in my class.

We will not have our library time this week because of the Book Fair that is taking place.  You can still return your child's books anytime. Next week (October 10-14), our library day will be different because the librarian has a training meeting on Thursday.  I will let you know in my next blog post when our day will be.

We have an orchestra program for our 5th grade students.  This year we have over 30 students.  Mr. Burton asked us to announce that an orchestra volunteer would be greatly appreciated.  If you have any experience in orchestra and would like to help out please let me know and I will pass your name onto the orchestra teacher.

Thanks in advance for making time for our SEP conferences.  This is an invaluable experience and one I look forward to.  Remember that school dismisses at 2:30 everyday, including Wednesday. Thanks for all that you do for your child.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment