Tuesday, January 22, 2013

January 22-25

I hope that you had a nice Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.  Today we showed the students a portion of his famous speech "I Had a Dream" and then the students wrote about what their dream was.  I had some students dreaming of becoming a better baseball player, some dreamed outrageous dreams like driving to the moon, and others wished for their Dad's to come home safely. 

There are a lot of things in your child's folder today.  Next Monday, January 28th, is the 100th day of school (I know I can't believe it either).  I sent home a homework assignment that is due January 28-30.  I sent it home early so that you and your child would have plenty of time to work on it.  You can send the assignment back early if you would like to, but we will not guess what's in the bottles until January 28th. 

Look for a Reader's Theater in your child's backpack. Your child's part is highlighted.  Please help them practice their part.  We will be performing this Reader's Theater in our classroom on Curriculum Night, which is Thursday, February 21st at 6:00.  We will be performing this right at 6:00 so that you can also go to other classrooms and attend the Multicultural Night that is  in conjunction with Curriculum Night.  Mark your calendars for this event. 

Today I sent home your child's recent DIBELS scores.  If your child did not reach the "benchmark" score (the score where they should be right now, or the "norm"), I also included a letter inviting you to meet with me personally so that we could discuss ways to help your child progress.  If you would like to meet with me, the best way would be to send me an e-mail and we could arrange a time.  If you don't have access to a computer, just send me a note or call the school and we can arrange a time.  The biggest help that you can give your child is to read with them EVERY night! 

Your child should be working on passing off Sight Word List #6.  Please include sight word practice in your nightly reading.  If you need another list, or are not sure where your child is send me a note and I will send home the appropriate list.

Valentine's Day is just around the corner.  We will be decorating cans so that we will have a place to put our Valentine's cards.  If you could help send some decorations for these cans I would appreciate it.  Ideas for this are:  stickers (regular or foam type), ribbon, doilies etc.  Every year I have had awesome things sent that I didn't even think of.  You can send these items anytime.  We will decorate the cans on Wed. February 13.  I will send home more information and a class list for Valentine's cards the first week in February.

I could still use pencil-top erasers!  Send those anytime too!

I will not be here tomorrow.  My 9-year old son was diagnosed with the Flu (strain B) this morning.  My husband took off today, and it's my turn  tomorrow.  I am leaving my class in the capable hands of Mrs. Cummings, my student teacher.  I will definitely miss my cute kids. I love teaching YOUR child!

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment