Tuesday, January 29, 2013

January 27- February 1

Happy 100th day of school (yesterday)!  My students had a fun time guessing the 100 objects in their classmates bottles.  Thanks for helping you child with this homework assignment!

We have been learning a Water Cycle song.  I want to video my students singing this song for a presentation by East Elementary at the next Iron County School Board meeting in February.  I am sending home a note today asking for your consent to video my students for this presentation.  If you DO NOT want you child to be in this video please sign the sheet (1/2 sheet green paper) and return it to school by this Thursday, January 31.  We will also being singing this song along with our Reader's Theater at Curriculum Night.  Remember that Curriculum/Multicultural Night is Thursday, February 21st at 6:00.  We will be performing in my room right at 6:00 so that you can visit other classrooms and attend the multicultural displays. 

East Elementary is having a Spelling Bee on February 20th.  This week I am giving my students a 15 word written spelling test to determine my two participants.  If your child is one of two that advance to the First Grade Spelling Bee on Friday, February 15th.  I will send you home with a list of words so that you can help your child study. 

I sent home the DIBELS scores a couple of weeks ago with letters to parents of students that were deficient.  I have not heard from many of you.  If you received a letter along with the scores, please contact me so that can set up a time to meet personally or discuss ways that we can help your child progress.

Our Valentine's Day party will be February 14th at 1:00.  I will send home a list of my students next week for Valentine cards.  We will be decorating cans to hold these cards on February 13th.  If you could help by sending decorations for these cans I would appreciate it (stickers, foam or regular, doilies, ribbons etc.)  I will contact those mothers that signed up to help for the party next week too.

The January reading record is due this Friday, February 1.  I will send home a new February reading record home then too.  I hope you noticed the Lions Club Reading record that I sent home yesterday.  Fill that out along with my reading record and send it back at the end of February also.  Our school receives money for each child that sends these back.  It's an easy way to raise money for our school. 

I will test all students that have not passed off Sight Word List #6 this Friday.  Please study these words nightly with your child, especially if they are behind on the lists.  These words need to be automatic!

Congratulations to Phoenix!  He was our January "Catch the Vision" award winner.  He is such a terrific boy and we all love having him in our class.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment