Monday, January 7, 2013

January 7 - 11

Welcome back after a long glorious break!  I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas break and New Year.  I was excited to see all of my sweet first graders today.  They are so full of life and a joy to teach. Thank you for all of the wonderful Christmas gifts, notes and goodies!

Today we welcomed our student teacher Angelia Cummings.  She will be with us for 6 weeks.  She is doing a great job already and I am excited to have her in our classroom.  She will start teaching our Water Cycle and States of Matter Unit next week.

The end of the quarter is this Friday, January 11th.  Please turn in all missing assignments by then.  I will not accept late work after that date.  The December Reading record is now due.  I sent home a new January reading record with your child today, as well as a new spelling list and math homework.

In math we are now working on subtraction through 20 and we will still have math homework most days.   I will discontinue our Math Quick-checks because I do not have as many SUU helpers this quarter to help the students correct their mistakes.

This week in writing we will discuss New Year's Goals and write about our 2013 goals.  We will also complete a New Year's art project to display with our writing. This week I will also test all students on Sight Word List #5 if they haven't already passed it off. 

This is a great time for growth for first graders.  I hope you see the growth as much as I do.  It helps so much to be diligent with nightly independent reading.  Listen to you child read nightly, have them read their books more than once, do not give them unknown words immediately, have them try to "sound them out" or decode them.  Practice sight words nightly as part of the 20 minutes of reading and help with spelling words, if you child needs extra practice.  Thanks for your help!

If any of you have a different schedule this semester and would like to come and help with reading in the morning please let me know. Our literacy block is from 9:00 - 10:30 everyday, except for
Wednesday.  Thanks to Mrs. Terry for diligently coming each Friday morning. 

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment