Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Newsletter September 2 - 6

I hope that you all enjoyed your long holiday weekend.  It's always hard for me to see the summer come to a close, but I was happy to see your darling children this morning.

The August reading record is now due.  Please make sure that you sign the sheet and make sure that your child's name is on it.  This will be worth 50 points.  I sent home the September reading record today.  This time it has apples on it.  Remember that I want your child to read for 20 minutes five times per week.  You can include sight word practice and the math homework as part of the 20 minutes. 

I sent home new spelling words today also.  I will send home last week's test tomorrow.  Next week will be the last week that I only test on the list of words.  I will start adding a sentence to the list as part of the test.  We have been learning how to write super sentences in class so my students will be prepared to write a sentence along with their list of words.

Our library day is usually on Friday, your child should have shared two library books with you.  This week, the librarian will be at a training on Friday afternoon so I needed to change our library day to Thursday this week.  Please make sure that your child's library books are back by Thursday so that they can check out two more books.

I am preparing the take-home library list, and will begin sending home Take-home library books starting next Monday, September 9th.  I will explain how that will work next week on this blog.  We will also start our reading groups next Monday.  I am excited that we are starting so early this year. 

Our math program  Go Math is going well.  We are discussing addition in this first unit.  Thanks for helping your child with their homework.  In science, we are discussing the weather and weather words.

Today I showed my students the record breaking swim by Diana Nyad, from Cuba to Florida.  They were impressed by her age and her endurance and that she didn't get hurt by a shark.  We discussed if we truly believe and really want something we can do anything we set our minds to.  I truly believe that about this great group of first graders that I am privileged to teach.  They are full of potential!!

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment