Monday, September 23, 2013

Newsletter September 23 - 27

Please check in your child's folder or backpack today for their SEP conference appointment.  It is on pink paper.  Please sign and return it as soon as possible.  If you can't make the time that I scheduled please indicate a time and/or day that will work better for you.  I am excited to meet with all of you.  Remember that during SEP week (Sept. 30-Oct. 4) that school dismisses everyday at 2:30.

In math we are working on our subtraction unit.  Today we used concrete objects to solve subtraction story problems.  It took a bit longer than I anticipated so we will continue with that concept tomorrow and homework will be sent home then.  Most of my students were sent home with their Unit 1 math test today.  Let me explain how I grade those.  The grade is purple is their actual grade on the test, the one that I recorded.  I have a great SUU student, Miss Makayla, who helps three days a week.  She takes those tests and helps the children with the problems that they missed.  So, your child will come home with a corrected paper with all problems being correct.  I do not then give them 100%, but their original score stands, but they get immediate feedback as to why they missed a particular problem.  Most of my students struggled with the "missing addends" problems.  That is tricky and we will work on that throughout the year so they will understand the algebraic concept.

In reading, our groups are going well.  I e-mailed those of you that have volunteered to help in my classroom.  You may start coming this week, or if you needed more notice you can come next week.  If your child has not passed off their Sight words List #2, please work with them.  I will test all students on Sight Word List #2 on October 2. 

In science, we are still discussing and learning about the weather and seasons.  We will especially talk about the life cycle of an apple tree and in October we will move onto our moon unit. 

I hope you are looking over at the sidebar of this blog for calendar items, math homework assignments, and the spelling words and sentence. 

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment