Monday, September 9, 2013

Newsletter September 9 - 13

The "Take-home" library (books in a bag) started today in our class.  Please have your child read this book to you, preferably more than once.  After they have read the book, initial by the book title and send the book back with your child.  Your child will then bring a new book home tomorrow.  If you do not initial the book, your child will not receive a new one.  The take-home books will be sent home Monday through Thursday.  If you lose this book, it will be a $5.00 replacement fee.  Please take advantage of this great program. 

Scholastic book orders will be due this Friday, September 13th.  Remember that the easiest way to order books is to use the online code.  When you order books, our classroom receives points that can help build our classroom library.

This week in math we will finish Unit 1 on addition.  We will review on Friday and I will test on Unit 1 next  Monday.  Please continue to help your child with their math each night.  Several students have not put their names on their math homework.  I cannot tell the difference between my students' number handwriting yet, so if they do not put their names on their homework I cannot give them credit for completing the assignment.  Please make sure that your child's name is on the Home reading records too, I can't decipher some signatures either. 

Next week, I will start our Star of the Week program.  Each student will get the opportunity to be Star of the Week.  I will send home a schedule this week, and if you child is the Star of the Week, I will send home complete instructions the Friday before it is their turn. 

Our reading groups started today.  I thought they went very smoothly.  We are practicing our Daily Five Centers and many students went to their first "special" reading group.  For those, that signed up to help with reading in our classroom, I would like you to start next week starting September 16th.  I will e-mail you first to remind you of the time and day you signed up, and if I can't reach you that way I will make a phone call.

SEP week (parent/teacher conferences) will be held the week of September 30 - October 4.  School will dismiss at 2:30 everyday that week, including Wednesday.  I will send home your child's date and time at least a week before the conference.  We make as a faculty coordinate with siblings so that you will only have to come one day.

One last little thing, if you could help our class by sending a package of pencil top erasers that would be great.  We will use these for our classroom supply not each individual student.  I failed to put that on my list of supplies at the beginning of the year.  Thanks for your help.

Happy Reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment