Wednesday, March 4, 2015

March 2 - 6

Just a quick post this week.  Thank you very much for coming out in this snow and visiting with me for SEP conferences.  I enjoy this busy week--meeting with parents and students together.

This week we will mostly concentrate on math and reading groups as we get out at 2:30 everyday.  We will continue working on Unit 8 in math.  The past couple of days we have worked on adding "ones" or "tens" to a two-digit number using a 100-chart.  I have taught the students that if they add ones to a number that they "count on" on the "row" (46 + 3 =) and if they add "tens" to a two-digit number the count down the column on the 100-chart (53 + 40 =). 

I hope you are monitoring your child's reading towards our 100-book challenge.  If you are reading the take-home books, I will allow you to use books that have already been read before the challenge started. You can use the list inside the ziploc bag as a reference.  Remember that rereading the same text is essential for improving reading fluency.  Encourage your child to reread the same text and practice sight words if your child has not passed off all 11 lists yet.  I will test on Lists #7 and #8 at the end of the month.

The February reading record is due now.  I sent home a new March reading record yesterday. 

Parent teacher conferences (SEP's) are not the only time that we can meet and discuss your child's progress or concerns that you may have. Please note that I am willing to talk with you anytime about your child.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment