Saturday, January 28, 2012

Newsletter January 30-February 3

Happy 100th day of School!  Today we will be doing various activities centered around one hundred.  My favorite is a writing assignment with the prompt, "If I had $100.00 I would..."  I think I will have some creative answers.  I hope that you saw the 100-day homework assignment that I sent home last Friday.  Please help your child with this.  It is due anytime this week.

Remember that this week is  East Elementary's Curriculum Night and Multicultural Fair on Thursday, February 2, starting at 6:00.  I sent home an invitation today reminding you of this, and asking you to RSVP.  If you cannot be here let me know, that way we won't be waiting for you, or like last year, some children were late and we started without them. Thank you for helping your child with their parts.  I will be here after the performance to let you wander around the classroom and answer any questions you might have. 

Last week, we did a science experiment where we mixed two liquids and it created a surprising result.  The two liquids when mixed formed a solid.  I have had several children as me for the "recipe" and I told them that I would put it on my blog, so here goes:  liquid glue (Elmer's), food coloring, and Mystery liquid (two cups distilled water mixed with 2 Tb. Borax).  In a plastic ziplock bag add four spoonfuls of glue, then add a drop of food coloring, knead the glue and coloring.  Then add two spoonfuls of the Mystery liquid to the glue mixture.  Knead this together and watch it change. The spoon size does not matter.  Just add four of the glue and two of the mystery liquid, using the same size spoon.  We have been having fun exploring the states of matter.  I plan on finishing up that unit this week with a culminating activity of making ice cream.

Last week again, I had several students come unprepared for our Poetry performances on Friday.  Please help your child with this.  If you are reading with your child each night, which I hope that you are, please use a few minutes of that reading time practicing the poem. 

Congratulations to Jazlyn!  She was our class Catch the Vision winner for January.  She is wonderful!

I will see you this Thursday, for Curriculum Night.  I look forward to it.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment