Monday, January 9, 2012

Newsletter January 9-13

After having a "spring-like" week last week, we are truly in January now.  Remember that next Monday, January 16, is Martin Luther King Day, and we will not have school that day.  We will though, be having regular spelling, poetry performances, and sight words that week.  I will send home the spelling and sight words this Friday, so that you can get  head start, but will not send home a new poem until we get back from the long weekend.

This week, the dictation sentence for spelling will no longer count as bonus points.  I usually try to think of a sentence that has two spelling words in it.  The spelling test, will then be out of 14 points.  Most of my students are not remember to put a period at the end of the sentence.  If you help them with this, remind them to end their sentence with a period.

We had a math test last week, and I don't know if it was because of the long vacation, or that one of the problems was a little tricky, or that my students were hurrying through the test, but most of them need corrections.  I have my SUU student, Shayla, help with these corrections.  If your child's test comes home with the words, "please fix", Shayla, has already helped them to fix the problems. 

I sent home a packet of Scholastic book orders today.  They will be due Tuesday, January 17.  You can order online--which is the easiest way or send the orders back with one check made out to Scholastic.  There are a lot of good titles to boost your at-home libraries.

Please keep reading with your child nightly.  Let me know if the level of take-home book is still appropriate.  Your child should be able to read that book without must assistance.  If it is too hard for them or too easy, let me know and I will change it.  Thanks for all you do to help your child.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment