Monday, February 25, 2013

Newsletter February 25 - March 1

It was nice to be back with my 27 kids after a couple of days away with my family watching the state basketball tournament.  I heard that the Field Trip was really entertaining and thanks to those that made it to Curriculum Night.  Mrs. Cummings video taped the performance for me!  I hope you saw how well my students understood the Water Cycle and the new vocabulary associated with it (condensation, precipitation, and evaporation).  In science, we will now move onto the Laws of Motion and in March we will devote our study to maps. 

I will send home your child's SEP scheduled time tomorrow.  Please send the form back signed as soon as possible.  If you cannot meet your scheduled time, please send a note back or e-mail and we can arrange for another time.  The PTA is sponsoring a Book Fair next week.  They have asked us not to allow students in the Book Fair if they do not have money.  I will tour the students are the book fair next Monday.  It will be open in the morning, during lunch, and after school. 

Grandparents lunch will be next week.  It is Tuesday, March 5 at 11:30.  Of course, grandparents do not have to attend.  If your child's grandparent wants to come they can pick up their child at my classroom at 11:30. 

Our math concept today was a big one (breaking a ten into ones).  We will revisit this concept many more times. I was excited as my mathematical thinkers were able to see patterns in our expanded notation today. The math common core is heading us in that direction--creating "mathematical thinkers" not just following one prescribed way to solve a problem.  I will test on Topic 8 this Wednesday. 

Please continue reading at home with your child.  I can really tell which students read faithfully every night.  I have several students that are on their way to reading 100 books.  Alec and Cason are nearly half-way there! 

Congratulations to Cayla!  She was our February "Catch the Vision" winner.  She is an impressive student.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment